Saturday, July 9, 2011

Android 101

Coming back from the store I got home and immediately plugged my brand new Motorola Milestone to a wall outlet and started configuring it. Got my Google login in it and booted it up, I was immediately impressed by the fact that by then it had already done half the work as my email, calendar, contacts, were all perfectly inside my phone and ready to be used...
I then went on the Android Market and started looking for nice cool apps to make my phone be more like I wanted... Customizing an Android phone to make it work just like you want is a very satisfying experience, you can change pretty much anything you want in it...
The sad part is that I quickly started noting that there were a lot of things that I wanted to do but there were no apps for it... When I went to google.com and started looking for answers as to why my phone, which was supposed to be customizable in every way, wasn't living up to that promise...
I soon discovered that the apps existed and were in the Android Market, except I couldn't access them because I live in Brazil... and Brazil didn't have paid apps available - don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great free apps on the Android Market, but when you're just starting and don't know much about it you don't get the full experience without the paid apps.... - that really bummed me out, I knew what apps I needed and they existed, but I couldn't use them...

So there I was, a complete newbie in the android scene, without paid apps and no root access - although by then I only had a faint idea of what that was and that it was dangerous to get.
I had bad battery life, struggling to get through the day with a single charge, my phone was filled with useless, and irremovable, apps but I still loved it and knew that I was holding in my hands a little piece of the future...

2 comments: