Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Now the real fun starts!

I've managed to get paid apps to work on my phones and I've got root access, now it's time to start messing around big time!
I've started really reading the XDA  forums and started to understand how Android works. I had a Motorola Milestone with Android 2.2 (Froyo) and my Xperia X10 with Android 1.6 (Donut). The Milestone had stock android and was running smoothly, but the battery life was very bad. I had real problems getting through the day with it. The solution came from one of the greatest apps I know in the market: Titanium Backup, with it I could freeze and uninstall system apps. Freezing an app is a less definitive solution to uninstalling. It stops the app from working without actually removing it from your system folder, so if you have a problem after freezing an app you can just defrost it...
So I started freezing the bloatware that was installed on my phone. After I froze a hole lot of apps I've never used and some lame games my battery nearly doubled!! Now was time to address the X10 problems...
The Xperia was laggy and also had a bad battery life, but this time the biggest blame was on the Timescape interface, if sucks battery like there's no tomorrow!! So I froze a hole lot of it, the Timescape app, the Mediascape, and other pointless apps. But the one thing I froze that made the biggest difference to me was the face recognition for the camera, I never used and it worked non stop on the background eating away my battery. The full list of apps to remove after you get root access can be found here. Now that I have a much better battery life with my phones there's no way to improve it....or is there?? That's when I found out about custom ROMs...

PS: You can only freeze apps with the pro version of Titanium Backup. It's not the cheapest app on the market but you'll not regret getting it for a second!

No comments:

Post a Comment